Fwd: "Proposed Business Plan" document posted as http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0220.zip

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Jan 18 01:29:40 CET 2012

As requested.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Horton, Gareth <Gareth_Horton at datawatch.com>
Date: 2012/1/18
Subject: RE: "Proposed Business Plan" document posted as
http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0220.zip
To: MURATA Makoto <eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp>, SC34
<e-SC34-WG4 at ecma-international.org>

Murata-san, Jim, Rex.

I think there needs to be some flexibility in respect of the venue for
important decisions.

Although I agree it is desirable to try and take important decisions
at face to face meetings, doing this exclusively has the side-effect
of excluding some current participants who have committed a great
amount of their time and expertise to the process.

Not only that, it may well dissuade those thinking of contributing, if
they are not from an organization that can afford to fund very
expensive international travel and the increased opportunity costs in
terms of time that a face to face meeting incurs over and above a
teleconference.

I would feel uncomfortable with a policy that would have the effect of
completely excluding Caroline being involved in important decisions
(I'm not speaking for Caroline, just to illustrate the effect).

There are many organizations which operate very strict policies on
international travel for a variety of reasons, not just financial.  To
have a policy which effectively reduces those not attending face to
face meetings to second class citizens is unwise. In practice, this
may be the reality, but I don't think we should prescribe it "in law".

Thanks

Gareth

Gareth Horton
Senior Product Manager