"Proposed Business Plan" document posted as http://www.itscj.ipsj.or.jp/sc34/wg4/archive/sc34-wg4-2011-0220.zip

Jim Thatcher Jim.Thatcher at microsoft.com
Sat Jan 21 01:27:35 CET 2012

(Merging responses from Gareth and Murata-san)

I'm glad that we are getting active discussion on this topic. I hope that we will continue to discuss this "F2F Requirement" and other elements of the proposed business plan, and arrive at an agreeable set of "house rules" for WG4 work. Let me take this opportunity to clarify my thoughts on the F2F requirement for important decisions and on the business plan concept generally. Sometimes what is completely clear to me as I write it is not as clear to others as they read it.

It would definitely slow progress beyond reason if we insisted that all DRs be closed only in F2F meetings. I am not in favor of that. But significant statements of direction or priority, such as the business plan currently being developed, and decisions to move a draft to the next stage (after updates as agreed to during a meeting), or to begin work on a new amendment, or revision, or other significant structural change to the standard should be made only after adequate deliberation, including opportunity for experts with divergent views to have smaller group discussions to determine where compromises can be made. A good example of the kind of decision that should be given F2F opportunity is what the criteria are to consider a decision "important" or "significant" enough to have the F2F requirement applied to it.

Gareth and Murata-san make good points about not everyone being able to participate in F2F meetings. I don't think anyone is in favor of excluding any of the WG4 experts from the decision making process. The purpose of the F2F requirement, as I understand it, is to ensure that important issues have been adequately discussed, and that opportunities for input from all interested participants have been provided (primarily through regular teleconferences). Would it be possible for WG4 F2F meetings to include a dial-in option as well, so that those unable to attend in person can ensure that their input during teleconferences is being adequately represented as the formal decision is adopted? Another option that could probably provide similar opportunity for adequate discussion would be, rather than requiring "important" decisions to be made at F2F meetings, we agree that "important" decisions should go to a 2-month WG vote (or some other period, as appropriate, based on the scope of the decision). Again, I don't think we have to rigidly structure our activity based on a long list of rules, but it would be helpful to have a general agreement on how WG4 activities should proceed.

The objective is not to prevent the work from getting done, or to delay the process for resolving DRs, but to define a set of guidelines under which the WG4 participants agree to operate in order to provide a predictable flow of work that the WG4 experts and consumers of ISO/IEC 29500 can rely on for resource planning, product planning, etc. I expect that if we continue this collaboration and can agree on the set of operating principles for WG4 (whether we call it a "business plan", "house rules", "WG4 best practices" or whatever) the resulting clarity in focus will allow the overall work of WG4 to move forward quicker than it does today.

These are my personal views, not those of Microsoft, Ecma, or the US. I look forward to a continued discussion of these views, and those of other WG4 participants.

Jim Thatcher