Some prior art re diagnostics detection and handling

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Sat Nov 17 00:44:15 CET 2012

Dear all

As a result of today's meeting I have tried to record the consensus reached
in changed to the wiki text.

I started by tidying up text already marked for deletion by Murata-san.

In X.1 I added a Note about what happens when an MCE processor detects that
the document does not conform to the syntactic constraints of Clause X. No
particular behaviour is required, but I believe that we should recommend
that the MCE processor signals the non-conformance, as this seems consistent
with the intent of the current text and is supported by the examples
provided by Murata-san (XML), Rex (C) and Caroline (XSLT).

I have changed "reported" to "signalled" throughout.

In Y.1 I have added a final sentence to the first paragraph making it clear
that the MCE processor is required to signal mismatches, but may continue
normal MCE processing.

In Y.4 (Step 3) I have made some minor editorial corrections to 5-7, and
have added 8, so that this step also includes what happens when a
non-ignorable foreign child element is encountered within AlternateContent.
The more I think about this, the more I'm convinced that this is simply a
third kind of mismatch. The signalled mismatch type is a bit verbose - any
suggestions for improvement?

Regards,

Francis