DR 11-0033, "WML: Positioning of Emphasis Marks" still not quite resolved to China's satisfaction

John Haug johnhaug at exchange.microsoft.com
Wed Feb 13 19:35:34 CET 2013

Speaking from Microsoft's position, changing the name of attributes will break compatibility with countless existing documents and multiple existing implementations.  This is not something we can support.

This DR has been open in the nebulous "last call" state for a long time, most recently from the meeting in Brasilia.  (Actually, looking back at old e-mail, perhaps it was closed.)  That lengthy discussion saw input from a number of NBs, driven largely by the East Asian NBs since they had the core knowledge necessary to reach the final text that's in the proposed resolution today.  The only reason this one was re-examined in Copenhagen was because I wanted to change the informal phrase "something like" to "similar to".

This one has been around for a long time, we have input from all interested NBs and I for one would really like to nail this coffin shut.  Perhaps one last look on the next call and that's it?