Choices for dates for the February 2014 SC 34/WG4 (and maybe other WG) meetings. DEADLINE FOR OBJECTIONS/PREFERENCES DUE 2014-02-11.

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Thu Feb 21 19:53:49 CET 2013

Here is my response to Murata-san's reply:

Let's begin with the February/March 2014 F2F meeting:

1. Some of us have schedules that go out at least a year, so now is exactly
the time to be locking-in this date.

2. Many hosting NBs (such as DIN) certainly have schedules that go out
further than a year, and they need to know sooner rather than later
regarding meeting room space reservations.

3. In the next few months, some members and hosts will no doubt be locking
in their travel or hosting budgets for the first half of 2014, so knowing
the location soon is important to them.

4. We have a firm offer to host, and DIN has a very nice meeting facility
with a range of hotels nearby along with good public transportation.

Regarding decreasing the number of F2F meetings starting next year:

1. Given the time it's taken to work on MCE (and we're not done yet), and
that is by far the smallest Part we could revise, the revision of Part 2
will probably take at least as much time and effort.

2. I presume we'll receive new DRs to process.

3. If we use our previous publication schedule, COR3 for Parts 1 and 4 would
be wrapped up and published in 2014, with consolidated reprints being
approved late 2014. This COR processing will require committee time.

4. Each teleconference gives us about 1:45 hours of time for administration
and technical work. Each face-to-face meeting gives us about 17 hours (5 + 6
+ 6), so from a time point-of-view, a F2F meeting is equivalent to nearly 10
teleconferences. So with our current teleconference schedule, if we dropped
one F2F meeting per year and replaced it with a teleconference, we'd be
giving up more than 15 hours of meeting time.

Now I can imagine us reviewing the number of F2F meetings per year once we
get to the CD stage of the Part 2 (OPC) revision, but I see no way we can
cut back for 2014.

Regarding meeting in Asia in 2014:

1. Our ordinary schedule would be to have a WG-only F2F meeting in June and
a WG-with-Plenary F2F in September/October.

2. We have an offer for Prague from Jirka for (mid-to-late) June.

3. We have an offer from Jim Thatcher for Seattle the week of September
15-19.

4. If a host from Asia would like to volunteer, they can chose either of
these meetings. However, we'd need their commitment a year in advance for
both budget and scheduling purposes (as mentioned at the start of this
message) as well as allowing us to find an alternate if no Asian host is
found. Of course, an offer to host the September/October meeting would need
to be coordinated with the SC 34 chair and Secretary.

In conclusion:

1. In the absence of any objections to my original mail about Berlin in
Feb/Mar specifically, I will accept DINs kind offer and will choose March
3-6 (with the daily breakdown to be determined  by the WG conveners no later
than the end of the September 2013 meeting).

2. Asian-based NBs have the opportunity of hosting the June or
September/October meetings in 2014, but we'll need their commitment a year
in advance.