Notes in Terms and Definitions

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Wed Aug 13 16:44:38 CEST 2014

I just looked at the ISO Style Guidelines and was surprised to also find
Notes used for a number of the Terms and Definitions it shows as a model. So
it appears this mechanism is possible to add non-normative text.

From: Arms, Caroline [mailto:caar at loc.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 9:40 AM
To: Rex Jaeschke; SC 34 WG4
Subject: Notes in Terms and Definitions

Rex,

In looking at some recent ISO standards, I have noticed use of Notes
associated with terms and definitions.  Is the practice acceptable?  If so,
we might want to consider using notes -- sparingly -- for some terms in Part
2.  I certainly do not suggest that we put all the text deleted from
definitions back as notes.

One usage of notes I have seen is to cite an external resource (such as an
other ISO standard) from which a definition is taken or adapted.  Part 2
uses terms from RFC 3986 (URI) and RFC 3987 (IRI), but currently has
inconsistent practice in how or whether the source of the definitions is
made clear.  See 8.3.1 and 8.3.2, for example.  One approach to consistency
might be to add the terms to Terms and Definitions with a note citing the
appropriate RFC.

     Thanks.   Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource
http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution