Metadata for OPC: any extensions?

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Mon Aug 18 05:16:17 CEST 2014

Dear colleagues,

Metadata extensions for OPC have been occasionally
discussed in this WG.  (Links to e-mails are shown below.)
Should we do some extensions as part of the ongoing
revision?

Core properties of OPC are very restricted.  In the
past, nobody has proposed significant extensions
to them except my own proposal for adding phonetics.
(I'm not hoping to do that anymore.)

As far as I know, users do not extensively specify
core property metadata.  I also know that  EPUB
metadata has not been heavily used.

EPUB allows any foreign metadata object to be embedded
within an EPUB publication.  I do not know if this feature
is heavily used, but it certainly provides a nice extension
point.

Do we have to do something for OPC?  OPC already
allows any metadata to be embedded as a part.
Moreover, we can specify a relationship type from
the package to such embedded data.  For example,
we can specify

  http://ns.editeur.org/onix/3.0/short

as a relationship type (ONIX 3).  I think that OPC
is already as powerful as EPUB in allowing
foreign metadata to be embedded.  Do we have
to do something?

Phonetics for OPC metadata
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2012-February/002587.html
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2012-February/002588.html

Some more thoughts on OPC metadata
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2012-March/002624.html

FW: FYI -- more thoughts on metadata for OPC
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2012-March/002625.html

Thoughts on metadata in OPC
http://mailman.vse.cz/pipermail/sc34wg4/2013-February/002829.html