Part 2 -- content type

Arms, Caroline caar at loc.gov
Wed Nov 5 15:12:05 CET 2014

As those of you who have followed the thread with subject  " Which RFC(s) for media type should we refer to?"  will realize, I got started with looking at the issue of content type and media type.  I have now stopped, waiting for experts in BNF and regular expressions to figure out how best to specify the syntax needed for media types in OPC.

My suggestions so far are:

4.9

content type

characterization of the content stored in a part

Note: In this standard the values used for characterizing content are Internet media types as defined in RFC ????  [TBD]

4.26

part

stream of bytes with a content type and associated common properties     [dropping "MIME" - should we mention that a part is in a package, or does that make the definitions look circular?]

7. Overview

Para 1.
Currently:
"This Open Packaging specification describes an abstract model and physical format conventions for the use of XML, Unicode, ZIP, and other openly available technologies and specifications to organize the content and resources of a document within a package. It is intended to support the content types and organization for various applications and is written for developers who are building systems that process package content."

Suggested re-wording:
"This Open Packaging specification describes an abstract model and physical format conventions for the use of XML, Unicode, ZIP, and other openly available technologies and specifications to organize the content and resources of a document within a package. The package specification is intended to support typing and organization of related resources for various applications.  The specification is written for developers who are building systems that process package content."
====

I have held back on clause 8 changes pending decision on the source we finally choose for specifying the syntax for Internet media types.

I've been minimalist in these suggested changes, but would be happy to support further clarifications.

    Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution **