Whether to upgrade the ZIP normative reference from appnote 6.2.0 vs. 6.3.2 (6.3.3)

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Apr 1 04:01:24 CEST 2015

Dear colleagues,

I quickly compared 6.2, 6.3, and 6.3.3.   Technically, I find
three issues: (1) more hash algorithms, (2) UTF-8, and
(3) OPC Growth Hint.  I prefer 6.3.3 to 6.2, because of (2).
How do you feel?

>    6.3.0         -Added tape positioning storage          09/29/2006
>                   parameters

Irrelevant since OPC does not use tape positioning storage parameters.

>                  -Expanded list of supported hash algorithms

Three values of Hash ID are added.

             0x8007          RIPEMD160
             0x800C          SHA256
             0x800D          SHA384
             0x800E          SHA512

>                  -Expanded list of supported compression
>                   algorithms

Irrelevant since OPC uses DEFLATE and nothing else.

>                  -Expanded list of supported encryption
>                   algorithms

Irrelevant since OPC does not use ZIP encryption.

>                  -Added option for Unicode filename
>                   storage

This is important if we would like to allow verbatim UTF-8.

>                  -Clarifications for consistent use
>                   of Data Descriptor records
>
>                  -Added additional "Extra Field"
>                   definitions

This addition includes Growth Hint of OPC.  If the
OPC revision uses 6.3.3, it would look more consistent.
But OPC already has Growth Hint anyway.

>    6.3.1         -Corrected standard hash values for      04/11/2007
>                   SHA-256/384/512
>
>    6.3.2         -Added compression method 97             09/28/2007
>
>                  -Documented InfoZIP "Extra Field"
>                   values for UTF-8 file name and
>                   file comment storage

We should prohibit this field.

>    6.3.3         -Formatting changes to support           09/01/2012
>                   easier referencing of this APPNOTE
>                   from other documents and standards

This is not technical but purely editorial.  But if you compare 6.3.3
and preceding versions, you will find very many differences.