RE: “content type” vs. “media type” terminology

Arms, Caroline caar at loc.gov
Fri Apr 3 17:36:37 CEST 2015

I don't have any problem with using Media Types for the stream.

After we have revised the text, we will need to look carefully at the related Terms and Definitions. We will probably be able to drop the definition for "content type."  But we probably need to replace the definition of Content Types stream with one for Media Types stream that mentions the file name rather than implying that it matches the term.   I would like to see a reference to the appropriate RFC as a note with that definition.  Remember that Rex agreed that notes are permitted after I provided an example.  It's a feature we have not used in the past but I believe there may be other cases where it would be helpful.

     Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource    http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution **