Seemingly-orphan parts

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sat May 2 13:05:27 CEST 2015

Dear colleagues,

Is it ok to embed parts in an OPC package without having
relationships to them?  Such parts may be referenced by the
href attribute of some XML element, for example.  OPC
explicitly allows such references.

   Parts may contain references to other parts in the
   package and to resources outside of the
   package. These references are represented inside
   the referring part in ways that are specific to
   the content type of the part; that is, in
   arbitrary markup or an application-defined
   encoding. This effectively hides the internal and
   external links between parts from consumers that
   do not understand the content types of the parts
   containing such references.

Since such references are invisible from OPC implementations
or even OOXML implementations (when references appear within
application-defined extension elements).  Thus, OPC or OOXML
implementations should never throw away parts, since they
might be used.  But I know that implementations do throw away
seemingly-orphan parts.  We might want to explicitly state
that seemingly-orphan parts should not be thrown away.
Alternatively, we might want to discourage seemingly-orphan
parts and thus ad-hoc references without explicit relationships.