Action item on additional example for Foreign Part in MCE Best Practices document.

Arms, Caroline caar at loc.gov
Sat Nov 21 17:44:33 CET 2015

At the most recent face-to-face meeting, which I did not attend, Chris Rae was tasked with getting back to me about adding a second example to the section of his draft that covers embedding of foreign OPC Parts.  I had expressed a wish to see a second example, since I believed that it had earlier been agreed that using a foreign/unknown part might be an appropriate way to add rich metadata in a standard or well-known schema to an OOXML document.

Chris did not contact me during the short period between the face-to-face and his leaving Microsoft and on the recent conference call, I agreed to make a proposal and ask others, particularly Francis, to review it before it is integrated into the draft.

Attached is my attempt to introduce the second example into subclause 3.5.

As I worked, a several questions came to mind:

1.  The first paragraph uses both 'foreign part' and 'unknown part.'   I don't see 'foreign' and 'unknown' as quite synonymous. To me 'foreign' means non-OOXML, but 'unknown' means not understood in some context.  The use of both terms here is a bit confusing. Part 1 uses 'unknown.'.  See Part 1, 9.1.4.  Should we clarify?  Or use 'foreign' throughout?

2.  Is there any way to declare/register a relationship type that is specific to ONIX or rich metadata?  Chris has just used example.org, which was "established to be used for illustrative examples in documents."  I would be hoping for something more appropriate.  Would it be reasonable to use the same host as Editeur uses for ONIX namespace URLs - which don't resolve?  An example of an ONIX namespace URI: is http://ns.editeur.org/onix/3.0/short

Francis:   Do you know someone at Editeur? Might they be open to letting us use ' http://ns.editeur.org/onix', say?  It's only an example, of course, not normative.

3.  For a foreign part, is it necessary to make sure there is an appropriate entry in [Content-Types].xml?  If so, that probably needs to be said.

4.  I have to admit to always having been a bit confused by Part 1, 15.2.5 Custom XML Data Storage Part and whether that is also a way to get "foreign" data into an OOXML document.  Is that construct worth a mention in this Best Practices TR?

5. This one is for Rex:  I was surprised to see "First, we need to add the file to the OPC package:".  The use of "we" seemed odd.

Have a good weekend.

   Caroline

Caroline Arms
Library of Congress Contractor
Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource    http://www.digitalpreservation.gov/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the institution **