DR 16-0011: WML: Style Hierarchy, Possible Contradiction proposal

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Mon Dec 19 16:43:11 CET 2016

From: Aarti Nankani [mailto:anankani at microsoft.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 14, 2016 7:20 PM
To: Rex Jaeschke <rex at RexJaeschke.com>
Subject: DR 16-0011

Hi Rex,

I'm not sure who submitted this DR.

Response from the product team:

To summarize, the original complaint is that there's a discrepancy between
Section 17.7.2 and Annex L 1.8.10. The question is what is the correct
ordering when applying styles for paragraphs and numbering.

I've attached ListAndParaStylesTest.docx. I believe this document shows that
paragraph styles are applied after (override) numbering styles. In other
words, I believe Annex L 1.8.10 is correct- the picture and the text in that
section are consistent and correct.

To prove this, my test document has a paragraph style I defined called
"CameronParaStyle" (at the bottom of the styles.xml part).  This style
applies an indent of 120 (.08")and also specifies a numbering style of "1".
At the bottom of numbering.xml, you can see the number style with the id of
1 uses abstractNumId of 0. Looking at abstractNumId 0 (at the top of
numbering.xml), you can see we specify an indent of 2880 (2.0").

This means we have a paragraph style and a numbering style both being
applied to the first paragraph. When we view this document in Word, we see
the indent for the first paragraph is .08", not 2", which shows the
paragraph style overrode the numbering style.

Thanks,
Aarti