DR 16-0011: WML: Style Hierarchy, Possible Contradiction proposal

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Mon Dec 19 19:05:07 CET 2016

If I've understood the product team's response correctly, this would imply
that the diagram in L.1.8.10 is correct but the diagram in 17.7.2 is
incorrect. The text immediately below the diagram in 17.7.2 appears to
contradict the diagram, but agree with L.1.8.10, which is consistent with
the product team's response. So I think this can most easily be resolved
simply by replacing the diagram in 17.7.2 with a copy of the diagram in
L.1.8.10.

However, the easy approach is not necessarily the best approach. The text in
L.1.8.10 seems to duplicate almost precisely the text in 17.7.2. The only
differences are that in 17.7.2 the process is represented by a bulleted
list, and the final paragraph of 17.7.2 is omitted from L.1.8.10. This
highlights the main danger of this kind of repetition: that contradictions
can creep in. Ideally we should eliminate L.1.8.10, or at least make it a
simple reference to 17.7.2.

Francis