DR-16-0018: WML: need sort method for special characters [for today's call]

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Tue Dec 20 17:09:41 CET 2016

HI Keld

My main concern is whether the sort method, if specified, affects what the
user sees when they open a document. Suppose that, for the sake of argument,
the default sort method of implementation A sorts accented text according to
the "normal" approach (first accent difference determines the order), while
implementation B sorts accented text according to the "French" approach
(last accent difference determines the order). Suppose a spreadsheet is
created by implementation A and has an auto-filter applied that sorts
according to its default sort method.  If this spreadsheet is subsequently
opened by implementation B, will it appear the same as if it was re-opened
by implementation A, or will implementation B's default sort method be
automatically applied? My guess is that generally the latter will be the
case, but this is obviously implementation-dependent.

I suspect that this is a case where implementations must be free to choose
alternative approaches that aren't fully interoperable. Both implementations
A and B in my example will have had good reasons for choosing different sort
methods, e.g. based upon market demands.

It might be nice if the sort method were spelt out in the document, but this
would definitely be a new feature. For now, in response to DR 16-0018, I
think we should simply ensure that the specification is consistent with the
schema and is clear about what are meant by the existing values of
ST_SortMethod, i.e. 'none', 'pinYin' and 'stroke'.

Interestingly, I note that the content model of sortState includes the
application-defined extension element extLst, which could be used to specify
the sort state in more detail, using MCE. So, in theory, it would be
possible to define an extension to OOXML without having to amend the base
standard. However, I'm not sure that there'd be sufficient demand for this.

Kind regards,

Francis