DR-15-0023, "SML: Comments"

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Fri Apr 7 11:57:23 CEST 2017

Dear colleagues,

We also have to consider what is needed for Question 1.

>Question 1: Is it essential to use a VML file in order to do this? If
> so, shouldn't this be explained in the specification?

>Response 1: Excel only supports this through VML. We leave it to the
> standards body to decide if it wants to allow other supported ways
> of doing this.

Here is my take.

This limitation is specific to Excel.  OOXML certainly allows the use
of DrawingML.  It does not mandate the use of VML either.

If we save an Excel document with a comment as strict OOXML, we have a
drawingML document as well a VML document.  This drawingML document
contains no graphical information.  But this is just a design choice
in the design of Excel.  Nothing in OOXML prevents this DrawingML
document from having rich graphical information.

Excel always generates a VML document for an Excel document with
comments, even when we use strict OOXML (through MCE).  But
this is not a requirement of OOXML.  This is strictly a design choice
by Excel.  Nothing in OOXML mandates the use of VML.

I thus believe that no actions by WG4 are required for this quiestion.
Microsoft might want to document their design choice if they have not
done so already.