XPS files with the interleave option

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Sun Feb 4 11:07:56 CET 2018

Dear colleagues

I examined XPS files with and without the interleave option.  The
interleave option leads to interesting results shown below:

1) As required in Part 2, no Default elements appear in the media
   types stream.

2) Part Relationships parts (except the last end tag) precede parts
   with which they are associated.  In particular, relationships
   parts for fpage files precede them.

3) Image files precede relationships parts that reference them.
   Because of 2), image files precede fpage files that reference them.

4) Font files precede relationships parts that reference them.
   Because of 2), font files precede fpage files that reference them.

5) DiscardControl parts allow the consumer to discard fonts, which are
   not used by following fpage files.  (Image files
   are not controlled by DiscardControl)

6) A font file is sometimes divided into pieces.  This s probably
   because a tiny font immediately preceding a fpage file requires
   less memory.

We cannot drop 1) from Part 2, since this is not explicitly required
in XPS.

We might want to explicitly require 2) in Part 2.

We might want to explicitly require that targets of relationships
precede relationships parts in Part 2.

Requirements such as 5), and 6) are application-dependent and
thus cannot be specified in Part 2.