Reference to DCMI Metadata Terms

caroline arms caroline.arms at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 14:21:51 CET 2018

Murata-san,

Replying to both your messages about the Dublin Core references.  This
remains an awkward situation.

Background -- for those who don't remember and as I check the latest
situation:

OPC uses elements from [A] the original 15-element set of Dublin Core
elements (in its version 1.1) AND from [B] the so-called "terms"
extension.  Elements from [B] include dcterms:created and dcterms:modified.

The terms in [A] and [B] are both defined in the human-readable document at
     http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/
and in text/turtle at
     http://purl.org/dc/terms/

I agree that we should not refer to the text/turtle versions.  I think
there used to be purls that referred to the human-readable versions, but
that would have been in the 1990s and I don't find anything now.

[A]   is also defined at
    ISO 15836-1:2017  Information and documentation -- The Dublin Core
metadata element set -- Part 1: Core elements
https://www.iso.org/standard/71339.html

and http://dublincore.org/documents/dces/

For [B],
    ISO/NP 15836-2   is a new proposal for an ISO standard that would solve
or problem.
https://www.iso.org/standard/71341.html

For now, I don't see how we can avoid referring to
http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/  and doing whatever the rules
require.

In summary, I agree with your proposals:

Use the ISO 15836-1 reference for the Dublin Core MetadataElement Set V1.

Use http://dublincore.org/documents/dcmi-terms/ for  DCMI Metadata Terms
(this would let us easily switch to using
15836-2 in the unlikely situation that it gets through the ISO process in
time)

     Caroline

Caroline Arms

Library of Congress Contractor

Co-compiler of Sustainability of Digital Formats resource
https://www.loc.gov/preservation/digital/formats/

** Views expressed are personal and not necessarily those of the
institution **