DR 17-0035

Francis Cave francis at franciscave.com
Thu Mar 8 21:25:00 CET 2018

I think that the definition of "n-ary operator" in §15.1 is
insufficient, because it fails to include the integral sign and other
similar signs that operate on continuous (i.e. non-discrete) ranges of
values. This is particularly unsatisfactory, given that the default
n-ary operator character is the integral sign (see §22.1.2.20)! I
therefore propose the following change to the definition of "n-ary
operator":

    *n-ary operator* — An _mathematical_ operatorthat involves n terms
    when expanded_, __typically a_single_ operator character,
    optionally_accompanied by_ expressions of a lower limit, an upper
    limit, or both_. For instance, the following example uses the
    Unicode (ISO 10646) summation sign (U+2211) which has the official
    name “N-ARY SUMMATION”.

    [example expression here]

Francis