FW: Possible DR relating to chart titles

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Fri Feb 15 21:00:29 CET 2019

Should I log as that as a DR? Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: Charlie Clark <charlie.clark at clark-consulting.eu>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 8:46 AM
To: Rex Jaeschke <rex at rexjaeschke.com>
Subject: Possible DR relating to chart titles

Hiya Rex,

I'm not sure if this counts as a DR but there does currently seem to be an interoperability problem with MS Excel. I was initially informed of this by a user of my library: charts created with it cannot subsequently have styles applied to them by MS Excel; you can add them but Excel refuses to save them, see screenshot and sample file. As the OOXML we use is valid I referred him back to Microsoft, the result on this thread is that Excel seems to have a hard dependency on optional elements in Drawing ML:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/b37a1c97-7ded-47e8-b5eb-617ad32892c6/impossible-to-add-a-predefined-chart-style-to-charts-where-no-ltapprgt-tag-is-present-in-the?forum=os_binaryfile

The following is valid OOXML as part of a chart, and the can be read by MS Excel

<c:title xmlns:c="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/chart">
   <c:tx>
     <c:rich>
       <a:bodyPr
xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main" />
       <a:p xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main">
         <a:r>
           <a:t>TOTO</a:t>
         </a:r>
       </a:p>
     </c:rich>
   </c:tx>
</c:title>

Adding an empty paragraphs property element is sufficient for Excel to be happy

<c:title xmlns:c="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/chart">
   <c:tx>
     <c:rich>
       <a:bodyPr
xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main" />
       <a:p xmlns:a="http://schemas.openxmlformats.org/drawingml/2006/main">
         <a:pPr>
           <a:defRPr />
         </a:pPr>
         <a:r>
           <a:t>TOTO</a:t>
         </a:r>
       </a:p>
     </c:rich>
   </c:tx>
</c:title>

I'm pretty sure that this should be considered a bug in MS Excel, in which case it would be another example of the need for more extensive release notes. But, in the interests of interoperability, extending the implementers notes might also be acceptable. In terms of the narrative specification I'd like to see this covered but don't really see how this fairly exotic edge case could be reasonably handled.

Charlie
--
Charlie Clark
Managing Director