DR 09-0211: WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags

Shawn Villaron shawnv at microsoft.com
Thu Jun 11 03:06:31 CEST 2009

Here is an update that I hope will satisfy WG4 requests on the wording for this defect report:

DR 09-0211 - WML: Custom XML and Smart Tags
Part 1, §17.5.1 will be updated as follows:
The smart tag itself carries two required pieces of information, which together contain the extra-standard semantics for this smart tag:

·         The first of these is the namespace for this smart tag (contained in the uri attribute). This allows the smart tag to specify a URI which should identifies the namespace of this smart tag to a consumer. It is intended to be used to specify a family of smart tags to which this one belongs.. [Example: In the sample above, the smart tag belongs to the http://www.example.com namespace. end example]

·         The second of these is the classification element name for this smart tag (contained in the element attribute). This attribute should specify a classification which uniquely identifies this smart tag within its family and again available to a consumer.  This allows the smart tag to specify a name which identifies this type of smart tag within its namespace and again available to a consumer. It is intended to be used to specify a unique name for this type of smart tag. [Example: In the sample above, the smart tag specifies that its data is classified as a of style stockticker. end example]