PLEASE PROOF: TR 30114-1 Extensions of Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 1 Guidelines; FEEDBACK DUE BY 2016-04-05

Rex Jaeschke rex at RexJaeschke.com
Sat Apr 9 18:20:40 CEST 2016

See my replies inline. Rex

-----Original Message-----
From: caroline arms [mailto:caroline.arms at gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 5, 2016 2:20 PM
To: Rex Jaeschke <rex at rexjaeschke.com>
Cc: SC 34 WG4 <e-SC34-WG4 at ecma-international.org>; TC45 <e-TC45 at ecma-international.org>
Subject: Re: PLEASE PROOF: TR 30114-1 Extensions of Office Open XML File Formats -- Part 1 Guidelines; FEEDBACK DUE BY 2016-04-05

Rex,

I have a few small suggestions:

1.  Introduction
The title includes "Guidelines" (plural) and it seems odd to use the singular in the Introduction, particularly when it certainly isn't a single guideline.  I suggest replacing "a guideline" with "guidance" or "guidelines".

Rex> Agreed. I propose changing "a guideline" to " guidance ".

2.  Scope
I suggest replacing "provides" with "supports" -- the markup doesn't provide round tripping.

Rex> Agreed.

3.  Check for appropriate usage (including hyphenation) for round-trip, etc.  Probably want to be consistent about whether to use "round-trip" or "round tripping" as the noun form.  I prefer "tripping" but don't care about whether "round tripping" is hyphenated or not.  I'm certainly happy with "round-trip" as the adjective before "operations" and "scenarios."

Rex> Okay. Let's address each one during a walk-through of the document.

4.  2.3
I would move "easily" in "While ignorable constructs easily allow markup to be added to documents" yielding:
"While ignorable constructs allow markup to be added to documents easily"

Rex> Agreed.

5. 2.3
Perhaps the most technical point is a request for others to determine whether the the Choice block needs explicit treatment for the space between "two" and "formats."  The Fallback block does.

Rex> Let's discuss this on the call.

6.  2.4
>From my perspective, "(see extLst)"  would benefit from a section reference and definitely needs a reference to Part 1.  Perhaps ISO 29500-1, 18.2.10 which points to 18.2.7 where the most helpful explanation is.  However, I see that you dropped my proposed section references from 2.5.  I assume there was a reason for that.

Rex> I'm happy to have such references and don’t recall intentionally removing previous ones. However, as we're in the process of producing a New Part 1, we'll need to make sure we've got the correct clause numbers.

7.  2.5

Since you changed all my "would be" instances to "is" you also need to change the "was" in the sentence beginning "Thirdly" to "is"

Rex> Agreed.

8.  Bibliography
Link to Word Extensions to the Office Open XML (.docx) File Format (in the PDF version of the Guidelines) shows up with a slightly incorrect URL, with a space or %20 in /en-us/ The page appears to load OK, but is missing its left-hand navigation panel, which is where the content actually is.  This may be a function of the PDF generation, but the other three similar links are all fine.

Rex> Excellent catch! The superfluous %20 actually is in the DOCX file, and I'll remove that.

Hope this helps.

Rex> Thanks much Caroline for your usual thorough review.

  Caroline