DR-16-0009: Pushback from Charlie after WG4 agreed to close this without action

MURATA Makoto eb2m-mrt at asahi-net.or.jp
Wed Dec 14 15:09:36 CET 2016

Charlie,

Thank you very much for your contributions to WG4.  I hope
that you continue to submit DRs even if our dispositions
do not always make you happy.

First, I think that the schema is unnecessarily loose here.  Ideally,
the schema should have been as tight as the prose restriction.
(In general, schemas cannot capture all restrictions in prose.  But
in this particular case, the schema can.)

Nevertheless, I do not think that this is a defect.   If a programmer
read both the prose and schema, the only reasonable interpretation
is that versions are of the form XX.YYYY.  I do not think that this
(arguably poor) design choice will make two conformant implementations
fail to interwork.  Fixing a poor design choice is an extension.  Not a
defect correction.