Reconsidering the use of SVG in OOXML

Jesper Lund Stocholm jesper.stocholm at ciber.dk
Thu Jan 7 08:42:33 CET 2010

Hi Mohamed and Shawn,

I think we should be very careful when adding a new graphics language to OOXML.

Even though I think you both have valid points – even though they are rather orthogonal to each other – my concern is this:

Switching e.g. graphics language is not a “clear and simple” thing to do, where we could simply add some prose stating that “from now on use SVG for graphics”. A few examples:

The graphics language is used for drawing the canvas (is that the right term?) for the comment in spreadsheet cells.

The graphics language is used for drawing the “frame” containing an embedded object.

The graphics language is used for drawing the “canvas” for comments in a document in review-cycle

The graphics language is used for defining specific layouts in themes.

…

I would assume there are an enormous amount of similar cases through-out OOXML (and ODF as well, I’d presume)

So even though we of course could make this comprehensive list and create alternatives specified using SVG (assuming that SVG covers all use cases that DrawingML does), we’d find ourselves in a position where we would have dual functionality in a large part of the specification. This is exactly the “mess” we are in with T, where the added functionality from the DIS-process causes potential information loss and added complexity.

As an example, we have two ways of specifying the frame of an embedded object in T – one using DrawingML and one using VML. This is not exactly desirable, if you ask me, and this should be one of the great motivators for moving to S, where only DrawingML is allowed. By switching from DrawingML to SVG you’d re-create the same problems in S.

That being said, creating a profile for “OOXML with MathML” would be much easier (even with the given functionality-loss) and I think that would be very interesting to work with.

Talk to you later today/night,

Jesper Lund Stocholm
ciber Danmark A/S