AW: ISO TC46 meeting

Eckert, Klaus-Peter klaus-peter.eckert at fokus.fraunhofer.de
Mon Jun 15 10:32:48 CEST 2015

Dear all

We had a project together with the German DIN about document archiving and open document standards. Unfortunately, the project report (http://publica.fraunhofer.de/eprints/urn_nbn_de_0011-n-3433710.pdf ) has been written in German.

In short two results are important:

*         From a technical point of view the definition of the term  document is different in the archiving world and in the “SC34” world. We are talking about OOXML, ODF, PDF, … files. An archived document is a container containing objects (our documents) together with some metadata. These metadata a quite similar to the metadata in our zip-archives but a “general” document has no internal description. The de-facto standard “Open Archival Information System-OAIS (ISO 14721)” introduces a “archival information package” that contains data/content together with “preservation description information”.

*         From a political point of view the German recommendations for archives refer to an old version of recommended standards (SAGA) that contains PDF and ODF 1.0 (yes, these recommendations are really old) as recommended document formats. Even the 2015 recommendations refer to these outdated versions.

Best regards

Klaus-Peter

Dr. Klaus-Peter Eckert

Electronic Government and Applications – Elan

Fraunhofer-Institute for Open Communication Systems – FhI FOKUS

Kaiserin-Augusta-Allee 31    10589 Berlin    Germany

Phone +49(0)30 3463 7227, Fax +49 (0)30 3463 99 7227